Watch out for Netflix email scam that looks like the real deal

netflixscam

(Monika) #1

Beware any Netflix emails that ask for bank account details. Photograph: Elise Amendola/AP

Your readers should be aware of a convincing scam Netflix email that almost caught me out. An email from [email protected] arrived, warning that my Netflix account was on hold because of a problem with my last payment. A link in the email takes users to a fake Netflix page where you are invited to input your bank details. It is realistic and will no doubt catch out a few people whose bank card has just expired. CK, London

The warning has been duly delivered, and you are right – it was convincing. Consumers should be sceptical of any email with an embedded link. Rather than clicking through, always open a new browser and log into your account as if you’d never received the email.

We welcome letters but cannot answer individually. Email us at [email protected] or write to Consumer Champions, Money, the Guardian, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Please include a daytime phone number

Since you’re here …

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.

I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information.
Thomasine F-R.

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.

Tags: Scams,Consumer champions

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/19/fake-netflix-email-scam-bank-details